- Information Systems Engineer at the International Hellenic University (IHU) (2011+).
- Information Systems Engineer at the Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM) (2011-2020).
- Manager and Lead Engineer for the development of the new digital library of the National Library of Greece (2015 – 2016).
- Ι worked at Dataways while pursuing projects and research as a freelancer. (2008 – 2011)
- I served my military service as Research and Informatics Officer of the Hellenic Army (SAEP) for 12 months. (2007 – 2008).
- I worked as an IT contractor for the University of Macedonia Library and Information Center. (2005 – 2007).
- I taught Operating Systems Ι and Networking Ι at public technical school Δημόσιο ΙΕΚ Τριανδρίας Θεσσαλονίκης for 2 semesters. (2006 – 2007).
- I worked as a developer for Dataways S.A. (2004 – 2005).
- Ph.D. in Informatics at the Department of Informatics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2011 – 2015).
- Msc in Information Systems at the Department of Informatics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2004 – 2006).
- Bsc, Department of Information & Communication Systems Engineering , University of the Aegean το (1999 – 2004).
- I research open government data in the context of the ROUTE-TO-PA Horizon2020 research project, representing Ortelio Ltd (2014 -).
- I research digital libraries as part of my work at the LoCloud Best Practice Network, representing Future Library (2013 – 2016).
- I have developed and operate the Hellenic Aggregator for Europeana since 2010.
- I coordinated the BlogForever EU project (2011 – 2013).
- I was a member of the Advisory Board of the Future Library project during 2012.
- I worked with Verial Central Public Library in the AccessIT EU project from (2010 – 2011).
- I worked with Verial Central Public Library and Tero on the Europeana Local project. The main task of the project is to implement Veria’s Digital Repository and the Hellenic Aggregator (2009 – 2011).
- I cooperated with Greek Librarians & Information Scientists (GreekLIS) research team (2008 -2010).
- I worked with Tero in order to develop ortelio in the context of ΠΑΒΕΤ-ΝΕ Δράση 4.3.2 “Πρόγραμμα Ανάπτυξης της Βιομηχανικής Έρευνας και Τεχνολογίας σε νέες Επιχειρήσεις” (κωδικός έργου: 05ΠΒΚΜ05). (2006 – 2007).
- I worked with Intelligent Systems and Knowledge Processing (ISKP) of the IT Department of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. (2006 – 2008).
- I worked with Intelligent Cooperative Systems (InCoSys) of Information & Communication Systems Department of the University of the Aegean. (2002 – 2004).
- Winner of the LoCloud hackathon which was organised by the LoCloud project and Europeana in the context of EuropeanaTech 2015 . The competition took place on 2015/02/11 at the Google Cultural Institute, Paris, France.
- 3rd place in the 1st Open Public Data Hackathon organized by the Greek Ministry of Administrative Reform and E-Government. Ministry’s press release.
- State Scholarship Foundation. First student of the 3rd year of the Information & Communication Systems Department of the University of the Aegean. (2003).
- Full list of publications in scientific conferences, journals and books available here: http://vbanos.gr/publications/.
- UltraClarity, Diplohack Athens, Netherlands Embassy (Orange Grove), 8 Jully 2016, Athens, Greece.
- UltraClarity (ΥπερΔιαύγεια), Ministry of Press, 6 June 2014, Athens, Greece.
- Web Archiving, Future Library Unconference 2013, 9 Dec 2013, Athens, Greece.
- Digital Libraries in Greece, Bulgarian Library and Information Association event, 10 Oct 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Case studies for cooperation with Europeana, Veria Public Library, AccessIT Plus Project event, 28 Mar 2012.
- Heterogeneity in European Digital Libraries: The Europeana Challenge, Theory and Practice in Digital Libraries, a European Approach, DL.org workshop, 13 Dec 2010, Athens, Greece.
- Europeana in Greece – Adding Hellenic Cultural Content in the European Digital Library“, Future Library, 19 Oct 2010, Athens, Greece.
- Ο ρόλος των ακαδημαϊκών βιβλιοθηκών στην διατήρηση της πολιτιστικής κληρονομιάς: Institutional Repositories, 8 – 9 Μαϊου 2006, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- DSpace at the University of Macedonia, DSpace User Group Meeting 2006, Bergen, Norway.
Expert in the following software engineering tools:
- Python (web development and data mining, Flask, Gunicorn SQLAlchemy, NLTK, invenio, and many-many libraries).
- PHP and HHVM (MVC frameworks, CakePHP, PEAR, Zend Framework, Joomla, WordPress, osCommerce, Mediawiki, Scout Portal Toolkit)
- Java (DSpace development)
- Database Servers (MySQL, MariaDB, Postgresql, Redis, Memcached)
- Linux (Debian, Redhat Enterprise Linux, Redhat Cluster Suite, Slackware)
- Microsoft Windows (Windows Server 2003, 2008, Microsoft Active Directory 2003).
- Front-end development (HTML5, CSS, SASS, SCSS, CompassStyle, BootStrap)
Expert in the following technical domains:
- Web Archiving (The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive).
- Digital Libraries (DSpace, eprints, invenio).
- Metadata Standards (oaipmh.com, Dublin Core, Europeana Data Model, Europeana Semantic Elements, MARC, Linked Data).
- Metadata Aggregators (openarchives.gr and the Hellenic Aggregator for Europeana)
- Web Crawling (archiveready.com, webgraph-it.com, BlogForever)
- Web APIs (Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP), Eurobank ProxyPay, Internet Content Adaptation Protocol, Diavgeia open data API, Google Blogger Data API, MetaWeblog API and many more).